Sunday, May 2, 2010

Definitions



The enthusiasm post an awkward pause in a seemingly redundant conversation, the silent nods at someone preposterous, the gentle approval for nothing less than vanity just to stay on the same page, with someone we barely have spoken to before.

As desperate as all of it may seem, but we dare not disagree. We must find the same jokes amusing, appreciate the same attires, and dislike the same people or else we do not belong. And this transcends to the same aspirations, for the same institutions and aim for the same sector workplace. Anything besides, is our discourteousness or because we are miserably disturbed. 

A society that thrives on mere air-tight surveillance, perceptions have to be approved and accepted. They must undergo the litmus test before they can qualify for selfhood. Here everything is everybody’s business where space is an unheard phenomenon. It accounts for impudence or extreme exposure to American television, nothing is or can be a choice, and knowledge more often than not is futile.

And hence everything is absolute. Change is not for us, it’s as alien as orgasm.

Even in the modernistic appeal I often find the concept of this über-individualism hilarious, where our choice to replicate the trend, is the idea of ‘standing out’. Where we are in a constant search for association and within is our mundane search for the true ‘us’. We race to break out from the familiarity of homes to find a world that welcomes individualism and gradually attune to the homogenous newly acquired environment. Is it simply hegemonic or the clasps of boundless capitalistic social conditioning.

I was assured long ago as to how this has no definitive answers and how naïve of me is to even ponder over such ‘meaningless’ issues.

But really how difficult is to think for yourself?

Or just barely think for once.

Would we always need our textbook custodians, decisive decrees and a constitutional parchment to decide?For once I lets try to be able to look and not simply see, try to be able to listen and not just hear,and try to be able to fathom and not just accept.

I might seem naïve, or you simply might choose me to term as a modern day cynic. I leave that to you, you can think of me as either or none. That’s your choice and I that's how I wish to keep it.

12 comments:

Stuti said...

We have had our discussions on this. You know how I think. I love how you use words, very strategic.
There are so many aspects this farce of individuality touches. If you wear hideous shoes that cost $1500, you are "different". They forget that all this is factory made! If you don't, even in that you become formulaic.
Honestly, there is hardly any scope of the word 'subjectivity' left! And that is not how I would like it to be, you know?

sunakshi said...

" Change is not for us, it’s as alien as orgasm." Haha! I loved this. It is so real. It has a very sophisticated yet blunt appeal.. We shall find an individualistic appeal to ourselves too someday. leaving behind the 'air-tight surveillence' society.

Aparna said...

well, you have voiced what seems to be the commonest and most prevalent of self conscious decisions in all age groups!

but then again its very few who take the risk and break the shackles to give us something new.

tht takes courage cause you have to be accepted by the soceity. else its of no use.

no one remembers the eccentric genii! so best of luck if you are on the path to discover the unique u.

it aint that tough. :)

Snobster said...

Uber Cynic you've become. Did I say I like it?

Ankita said...

Stuti: One of the inspirations you are.
Sunakshi: I know, and the best part is, when I explained it to daddy, what is 'it'.
In the shadows: Of many things I have learnt from you, this would be one.
and really its not about risks, its mostly, how to just think and rest always follows.
Snobster: I take pride in that, I think.

Unknown said...

by far the best that i liked... awesome ironies n of course in-depth reflections...... only , i couldn't relate the title with the last para :-\ the rest is pretty impressive

Unknown said...

oops sorry i meant the third para nt the last one....

mariyam said...

change is omnipresent..that's what i always felt & was ascertained..but change is ineffective of being desirable is what i learnt.Great thought.

Ankita said...

Vivek:Well the third para, I talk about the perceptions, that requires approval, because the society wants a homogeneous thought process. It guards cultures in a way that does not allow any form of transition or differentiation. Hence individualism, which cannot be uniform in any place. A few definitions of change, society and ourselves. Isn't it?

Ankita said...

mariyam: Oh hell yes, it isn't. hence the post

Anonymous said...

Erudite, deep and profound. Your lamentation over stereotyping and following hackneyed norms is thought provoking. I just wonder if you are a philosopher or a thinker! And add to it a wonderful writer. It took me quite some time to latch on to what you were trying to say :)(so naive I'm)

Ankita said...

ajay: Really. I'm glad that it moved you enough to comment.and well you're not the only one who took time:P
I hope to think I'm more and well for naive, we all are